Don't Use Google Ads To Grow Your YouTube ChannelJul 17, 2023
So, you've just launched your YouTube channel and are eager to boost your views and subscribers. The first solution that may come to mind is starting a Google video campaign, right? Well, here's a shocking revelation: that approach is entirely wrong.
Using a Google Ads campaign to grow your YouTube channel is not only ineffective but also detrimental to both your channel's growth and your financial well-being. In this blog, we'll delve into why Google Ads is not the easy way to expand your YouTube channel and discuss alternative strategies for success.
The Mismatch between Google Ads and YouTube Metrics: Before we explore the reasons behind the failure of Google Ads campaigns for YouTube channel growth, it's important to understand the fundamental discrepancy between the metrics that define success in each platform.
In a successful Google Ads video campaign, the primary objective is to generate initial interest, entice users to click, and direct them to your website to make a sale or conversion. However, when it comes to building a thriving YouTube channel, different core metrics come into play:
- Click-through ratio (CTR) of 10% in the first 12 hours.
- Average viewing duration of at least 50%.
- Watch time of at least 4 minutes.
Misalignment of Goals and Consequences:
It becomes evident that the objectives of a Google Ads campaign and a YouTube channel are not aligned. Promoting your YouTube channel through a 10-minute teaching video or blog using Google Ads is counterproductive due to the following reasons:
- No sales generation: Google Ads campaigns are designed to drive traffic to your website for conversions. When used to promote a YouTube channel, they fail to generate sales, defeating the purpose of an ad campaign.
- Negative impact on video metrics: By promoting your channel using Google Ads, the metrics of your videos are compromised. YouTube algorithms prioritize videos with strong metrics for recommendations and visibility on the home screen. Consequently, your videos won't receive the exposure they need to foster channel growth.
Patiently Grow Your YouTube Channel: To grow your YouTube channel effectively, it's crucial to recognize that it takes time, discipline, and continuous improvement. Here's what you should focus on:
- Improve video quality: Constantly strive to enhance the quality of your videos, catering to your audience's preferences and interests.
- Analyze channel metrics: Regularly review your channel analytics to understand which content resonates with your viewers and garners the most interaction. Use this data to refine your video creation strategy.
Using Google Ads for Products and Services: If you still want to leverage Google Ads for promotion, redirect your efforts toward advertising your products or services instead of directly promoting your YouTube channel. By doing so, you can potentially achieve profitability while maintaining your channel's growth.
In summary, utilizing a Google Ads campaign to grow your YouTube channel is an ineffective and wasteful approach. Instead, invest time and effort into producing high-quality content, analyzing channel metrics, and adapting accordingly. Remember, success with Google Ads lies in utilizing it to promote products or services, not to directly grow your YouTube channel.